All aspects of SEO is important for any website but it seems that a lot of people concentrate more on off-page SEO techniques such as building external links and soon forget about the all-important on-page SEO. This is bad practise because all of the off-page SEO could prove to be pretty worthless if all of the on-page SEO isn’t done correctly, or not bothered with at all. If you want to build a successful site then it’s important to spend time making sure your website is not only user friendly, but is also search engine friendly so the crawlers the search engines use can determine what type of content you are offering your visitors.
Spending time with off-page SEO techniques can be done once you’ve established yourself in Google and the other popular Search Engines. It’s important to get a good start with search engines and work on your on-page SEO straight away otherwise Google and the likes are just going to think it’s filled with rubbish. More often than not, the search engines will not know what to think of your site altogether and it will just get ranked horribly in search results, if it gets ranked at all.
Paying attention to keyword density is especially important because you don’t search engines to think you are simply keyword spamming just to try and get to the top of the rankings for that specific keyword. A good point to consider when writing content is to just write it naturally and then come back to it and implement just a few of the keywords you are targeting.
Here are some of the on-page SEO practises you should be implementing to each page of content:
- Internal Linking – Making sure there is links on every page that link to other pages of your site. So if you had a player profile of the Manchester United Striker “Wayne Rooney” on that page you could link to “Marcus Rashford’s Play Profile”. Internal linking makes it easy for search engines to build a profile about your site.
- External Linking – There is nothing wrong in putting a few external links that go to different websites that provide the same sort of content as your own site. This gives search engines even more idea on what content you provide.
- Keep URL’s short and tidy – Make sure all URL’s are short and keyword optimized.
- Responsive – In today’s web development it is very important to make sure your website is responsive, a website that can’t be viewed properly whilst using a phone or tablet will have a negative effect on your SEO practises.
- Images – When using images always make sure you give them a proper description.
- Site speed – Use online speed testers to test the speed of your page loading times, if it’s slow make sure you make changes to speed it up.
These are just some of the many on-page SEO practises you should be implementing and there are many more that you should follow. If you ignore on-page SEO your website will suffer tremendously. The on-page SEO of ANY website is very important especially if you have a website that is solely based on written content.
If anything, on-page SEO is probably more important than off-page SEO because it’s in your own hands – you decide how far into detail you go with your SEO practises. Once you have done everything you can to make sure your on-page SEO is in working order, it’s then your next priority to make sure it stays that way.
Once you have established yourself in the ranks and you have many of your websites pages indexed, you should look towards your off-page SEO practises and make sure you get your website out there, and here are a few points to consider when you are doing that:
- Don’t fall for black hat methods – Many webmasters fall for the black hat method trap when it comes to SEO and are always looking to take shortcuts to make their websites popular. Only practise SEO using white hat methods otherwise your website may be blacklisted in several search engines which will deem your website useless. It’s better to spend a bit more time sticking to the rules so you don’t waste all of your time on a website that might get blacklisted at the end.
- Create quality connections – It’s important to connect with other website owners that run websites in your specific niche and try to build a relationship with them and exchange links. Any internal links that are linked to your sites content from other websites are very important when it comes to search engines judging your worthiness. Only content website owners that have established their own sites and you will reap in the rewards. You may have to offer them something in return but it is always worth it.
- Article submission – A good way to create quality back links is to create quality articles that can be submitted to multiple article directories or other websites related to your websites niche. Search engines find these particularly pleasing and you will find your website is ranked higher for specific keywords.
- Social media – Many webmasters turn their nose up at social media when in actual fact it plays a role in off-page SEO as well. It’s important to have your website communicating with its visitors via multiple social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. This is important because a lot of visitors that visit your website will have multiple social media presences which will mean they will be able to share your content with their friends and family.
Any SEO to do with a website is very important and will play a major role in a websites SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) which is why all webmasters should not only concentrate on off-page SEO but should also pay particular attention to the SEO on every single page they have content on. The simple fact is, if you don’t spend time working with the SEO then the search engines won’t take your website serious enough and it will ultimately fail.